Registration, personal identity code & change of address
Digital and Population Data Services Agency (former Local Register Office / Maistraatti) enters data into the Finnish Population Information System and can issue a Finnish personal identity code (if you have not received it earlier i.e. when you have applied for a residence permit or registration as an EU citizen). You need a personal identity code in order to open a bank account or to obtain a telephone subscription, for example. The Local Register Office also decides whether a Finnish municipality of residence (kotikunta) can be entered for you. If you have a municipality of residence in Finland, in most cases you are entitled to use the services provided by the municipality.
Please bring along the following documents when you visit:
- a passport or a valid photo ID
- an employment contract (if your stay is work-related)
- a residence permit (if you need a residence permit for Finland)*
- a certificate of registration of an EU citizen’s right to reside (if you are an EU citizen)*
If you have accompanying family members, please also bring:
- a marriage certificate (if you are married)
- children’s birth certificates (if you have children who are under 18)
All official documents must be notarised originals or translations by authorised translators.
* required in order to get a Finnish municipality of residence.
Due to coronavirus, the Digital and Population Data Services Agency (Local Register Office) serves customers by appointment only. For further guidance, please visit our website dvv.fi.Read More