Skip to content FAQ - International House Helsinki


Do you have a question? International House Helsinki (IHH) can help!

In our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) sections, you’ll find answers to the questions we get asked the most about. Check our FAQ sections for your question topic, and you may find the answers you’re looking for.

Please note that all our FAQ sections are at the bottom of our pages, and you can find them by scrolling down.


FAQ about IHH authority services:


FAQ about other IHH services:


FAQ about IHH for Employers



Common FAQ:

The IHH service center is located at Lintulahdenkuja 2 D, on the second floor of the building. Our service center is easy to get to by public transportation, bicycle, or car. The nearest bus and tram stop is Haapaniemi. Below are directions on how to reach our service center from the Central Railway Station and Pasila. Visit the HSL journey planner for more information about getting to the IHH Service center and updated timetables
  • Pasila Station From Pasila, take the 7 Tram to Haapaniemi. Walk north on Hämeentie and then turn right on to Kaikukatu. Continue on Kaikukatu, then take a left onto Lintulahdenkuja, and arrive at Lintulahdenkuja 2 D.
  • Central Railway Station Take the 6 tram or the 71 bus from the Central Railway Station to Haapaniemi. Walk north on Hämeentie and then turn right on Kaikukatu. Continue on Kaikukatu, then take a left onto Lintulahdenkuja, and arrive at Lintulahdenkuja 2 D. You can reach our service center using a City bike. It is about a 10-minute ride from the Central Railway station, and there is a bike station located next to the service center.
  • Parking near IHH: IHH is located in parking Zone 2 (II-vyöhyke), and there is street parking available near the service center. For more information about parking visit, parking in Helsinki.
The Newcomer’s Guide is a new comprehensive guidebook developed by the cities of Helsinki, Espoo, and Vantaa. It is the ultimate English language resource for those interested in moving to, living, working, and studying in the capital region.
The guide is divided into four main parts, moving, living , work & study,and leisure time. It provides readers with a wide range of materials, including information about the various public authority services, where to study Finnish or Swedish, and information about the different housing options in the capital region. The Newcomer’s Guide also has information about local cultural activities and customs.
A personal identity code consists of 11 characters and is used to identify persons in the registers and information systems of different public authorities as well as private sector actors. For instance, insurance companies and healthcare service providers may need your personal identity code to ensure that information is registered for the correct person. Several people may have the exact same name but there are no two persons with exactly the same personal identity code.
If you work in construction, you need a tax number (veronumero) and a tax card. You can apply for both at the Helsinki Area Tax Office at Hämeentie 15. The service is available both by appointment and as a walk-in service. Bring along your employment contract as well as a valid passport or identity.
All permanent residents of Finland are issued a personal health insurance card aka Kela card. If you move to Finland from another country or if you start working in Finland, Kela can assess whether you will be covered by the Finnish social security coverage. For this, please submit the Moving to Finland form  at Kela desk at IHH.  You can also submit an application for a Kela card at the same time. Kela card cannot be used as proof of identity. With your Kela card, you will be reimbursed for your expenses at many private clinics and for prescription drugs at pharmacies. Then, you only have to pay the deductible.
If you are or become unemployed and live in Finland permanently, you can register as an unemployed jobseeker with the TE Office. Registering is not mandatory, but you cannot get unemployment benefits unless you register as a jobseeker. The registration and the services offered for registered jobseekers are free of charge. Once registered, you will either be a client of the TE Office or be directed to your home city employment services. You will receive the same TE services in both places. The TE Office or your home city employment services offer services that can help you find solutions for your situation and to find a new job. The TE Office can also support your studies and provide job coaching and integration training. You will get your own case worker, and together with them, you will draw up an employment or integration plan, which you must follow.