Skip to content Services - International House Helsinki


Welcome to the Helsinki capital region. Moving to a new country can be an exciting experience but there are a few steps to take before you can start living and working in Finland. International House Helsinki (IHH) provides a wide range of information and public authority services to meet the needs of international newcomers in the Helsinki capital region.

It is important to plan your visit and book appointments, when required, before visiting our IHH service centre. Our IHH staff guide you through this process, both our general guidance services and our chatbot, Into, can answer your questions about our services.

Services for international newcomers

  1. Registration of an EU citizen’s right of residence

    If you are a citizen of an EU Member State, Liechtenstein or Switzerland and plan to stay in Finland longer than 90 days, you need to register your right of residence at the Finnish Immigration Service (Migri). You can do this at International House Helsinki.

    Please note Migri's service desk at International House Helsinki can only handle EU registrations. For any other immigration service categories, you are asked to visit another Migri service point.

    Learn more
  2. Registration, personal identity code & change of address

    The Digital and Population Data Services Agency (DVV) issues personal identity codes and enters data into the Finnish Population Information System.

    At International House Helsinki you can apply for a personal identity code and register your address as well as your municipality of residence.

    Please note you should register you EU citizen's right of residence or obtain a residence permit before visiting the DVV service desk at International House Helsinki.

    Learn more
  3. Tax card & tax counseling

    If you are working and receiving pay or are an entrepreneur, you need a tax card. You can apply for a tax card at International House Helsinki and receive tax counseling.

    Visit the Finnish Tax Administration (Vero) at International House Helsinki to apply for a tax card. Vero can also provide you with more information about taxation in Finland for individuals.

    Learn more
  4. Social security & benefits

    The Social Insurance Institution (Kela) provides basic economic security for those who live and work in Finland. You may be entitled to Kela benefits both on the basis of permanent residence and employment.

    The right to social security coverage is mainly affected by the country one comes from and for how long one plans to work in Finland. Kela considers individual circumstances and determines if you are entitled social security coverage or benefits. At International House Helsinki, you can both file and drop off applications. Kela can also provide you with information about social security and benefits.

    Learn more
  5. Employment services & registering as a jobseeker

    The Employment and Economic Development Office (TE Office) offers first-stage guidance about employment at International House Helsinki.

    You can also visit the TE Office's desk to register as a jobseeker.

    Learn more
  6. Pension insurance and A1 certificates

    The Finnish Centre for Pensions (ETK) can provide you with information about social security while working abroad, A1 certificates and earnings-related pensions.

    Please note that ETK serves customers by phone or online.

    Learn more

Guidance and support services

Spouse Program

The Spouse Program is a supportive peer network for international partners of employees in the Helsinki capital region. Participants have the opportunity to join a supportive community of international newcomers and get guidance on how to enter the local job market.

Guides and resources

Contact International House Helsinki


The cities of Helsinki, Espoo and Vantaa can provide you with general information and guidance.

+358 9 310 111 11 Chat