Skip to content Social security & benefits - International House Helsinki


Welcome to the Helsinki capital region. Moving to a new country can be an exciting experience but there are a few steps to take before you can start living and working in Finland. International House Helsinki (IHH) provides a wide range of information and public authority services to meet the needs of international newcomers in the Helsinki capital region. It is important to plan your visit and book appointments, when required, before visiting our IHH service centre. Our IHH staff guide you through this process, both our general guidance services and our chatbot, Into, can answer your questions about our services.

Social security & benefits

When you are working in Finland or move to Finland on a permanent basis, you may be entitled to social security coverage under the Finnish social security system. The Social Insurance Institution of Finland (Kela) makes a determination about whether you are entitled to coverage. You may also receive benefits from Kela.

They can provide you with information about social security and benefits and you can both file, and drop off applications at International House Helsinki.

Please bring along the following documents when you visit:

  • a passport or valid photo ID
  • an employment contract


For further guidance, please visit the Kela website

Read more from This link leads to external webpage